Monday, March 21, 2011

Day Five - TV and Sports

New York City is home to many different forms of entertainment, but two of the most popular types are TV and Sports. As much as Hollywood is associated with movie production, so to is New York City associated with television production. TV Stations such as ABC, NBC, and CBS all have their headquarters in downtown New York. Most of the stations offer tours, and I would love to go on a few. I have always wanted to see the famous sets that actors work on, such as NBC's Saturday Night Live, which is filmed at Rockefeller Centre.

There are countless other studios and sets that I would love to tour, but most of all, I would love to sit-in on the taping of an actual episode of a TV show. Watching those shows at home will never be the same once I have seen what goes on in the background. Getting tickets to most tapings is not very hard, and often is free. I have seen so many TV shows in my life, but experiencing one in person would be amazing, no matter which show it is.

After visiting some TV studios, it's on to the next form of entertainment: sports. The month of May is a very busy one in the sports-world. Hockey and basketball playoffs are taking place, just as baseball's and soccer's season get started. As a result, it should not be very hard to find a ticket to attend one of these major professional sports during my stay in New York. If I can I will try to get tickets to see either a New York Rangers hockey game or a New York Knicks basketball game at Madison Square Gardens, usually at least $100 each. MSG is the busiest arena in North America and the third busiest in the world, behind M.E.N. Arena and O2 Arena, both of which are in the United Kingdom. If it is not possible to attend a game at MSG I will make sure to at least take a tour of the arena.

Another world-famous sporting arena located in New York that I will need to visit is Yankee Stadium. The New York Yankees have been playing baseball in the city for over 100 years, and they recently moved into a new state-of-the-art home. The original Yankee Stadium was built in 1923 and served as the home for many greats, including: Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Joe DiMaggio. In 2009 the Yankees picked up and moved to a new $1.3 billion ballpark. The new stadium features multiple upgrades on the previous stadium, but still displays the club's historic past.


No comments:

Post a Comment