Monday, March 21, 2011

Goals and Expectations

When I first thought of going on a dream vacation, New York City was the first place that came to mind. The city has so many unique things to do and see. That being said, I must be realistic and rational if I hope to accomplish everything on my itinerary. So I have come up with a list of goals and expectations for my dream vacation:


Goals
1. Visit all the neighbourhoods
New York City is split up into five different neighbourhoods: Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, The Bronx, and Staten Island. Throughout my 6 day stay I hope to visit each of these sectors, at least once (except maybe Staten Island, which is the farthest neighbourhood). Each area has a different defining feature, and I am excited to experience each one.

2. Learn the history
Each area of the city has a different contribution to the city's history. There are many fun attractions and spectacles to see in New York, but there is lots of history in the city as well. I would be disappointed if I only got to visit New York once in my life and I spent the entire time shopping or seeing plays. There are multiple buildings, parks, and other historical sites that are interesting, and yet still educational.

3. Grasp the Culture
Coming from Canada, it will certainly be a culture shock to be thrust into the center of a city of 19 million. Many of the daily routines and activities that I am used to will have to be adjusted in New York. There is no Tim Horton's to grab right when I wake up, though I'm sure there will be lots of other coffee options. The streets are not as safe as they are at home, so I must be more cautious just in general. As opposed to hiding in my hotel room or in other safe zones, I want to explore the city and fully understand it's culture. That being said, I must keep in mind that safety comes first.


Expectations
1. Respect
When travelling to a different culture, there are obviously subliminal cultural signals that we will not be aware of. Some of my slang or gestures might be misinterpreted. As a result, I must be as courteous as possible when dealing with locals or other tourists. I have no assurance that I will not offend anyone, and so I must remain as respectful as possible. If I am kind and courteous to others, I don't see them being very disrespectful back.

2. Lots of People
As I previously mentioned, New York City is a very busy place. Therefore, I must be prepared for the chaos if I hope to anticipate everything that might happen. I will no doubt be standing in many a line throughout my stay in the city, and being prepared for this will allow me to better deal with it, and not over-react to the environment.


http://tinyurl.com/6f66ext
http://tinyurl.com/63j3wdx

No comments:

Post a Comment